The HDSI (Harvard Data Science Initiative) Public Service Data Science Graduate Fellowship supports Master’s students in Harvard’s data science programs (Biomedical Informatics (HMS), Health Data Science (HSPH), Data Science (SEAS)) who want to explore career paths at not-for-profit and public sector organizations through a summer internship.
The fellowship includes a $10,000 stipend to support an unpaid summer 2021 internship at a not-for-profit or public sector organization that either (a) applies data science to solve social challenges, or (b) advocates for responsible data science. The stipend is intended to support living expenses during the summer and may not be used for tuition.
Fellows are also expected to promote public service data science at Harvard, which will include documenting their experience in the fellowship through a blog post or short report to the HDSI (previous winners Rachel Moon and Pradeep Mangalath); and may include community-building activities such as:
- Facilitating a public service data science reading group
- Participating on panels and in discussions/talks
- Serving as a resource to other students interested in public service and data science
To apply for support from the DSI Public Service Fellowship program, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Public Service Fellowship” in the subject line no later than March 15th, 2021. Emails must include:
- The name of the organization that you propose interning with (resources to help find organizations). Thisorganization must be a government agency, a public sector agency, a municipality, or a registered non-profit, that either (a) applies data science to solve social challenges; or (b) advocates for responsible data science.
A statement of purpose that addresses the following questions (500 words).
- What motivates you to want to work at this specific organization?
- What kind of proposed project or work would you hope to do with this organization?
- How does this fellowship would contribute to your personal and professional development?
- What academic and extra-curricular experiences have prepared you to do this work? Please feel free to mention academic or extracurricular activities you expect to have participated in by summer 2021.
- A one page resume
- A Harvard course transcript
- A reference letter from a faculty member, previous employer, or someone else who can attest to your interest. Please have recomenders send letter to email@example.com seperately from the application.
- A non-binding letter or agreement indicating interest in working with you from the organization proposed for your internship.
All materials should be submitted as PDF documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions or would like more information about the fellowship, please contact email@example.com.
- To apply for an HDSI Public Service Data Science Graduate Fellowship, you must be a registered, current student in good standing in one of the three eligible Master’s programs with expected graduation date in Fall 2021 or Spring 2022
Application Deadline: March 15, 2021.
The HDSI will announce 2021 Fellows in late March, 2021.